Since summer is fast approaching, I thought I'd share one of my absolute favourite morning smoothies perfect for keeping you energized on those long, sunny hikes you're about to tackle.
Not only is this delicious Green Energy Smoothie refreshing and the perfect way to kick-start your morning, Genuine Health's vegan greens+ O formula encompasses a variety of benefits to get you through even the toughest of treks:
1. Japanese green tea leaf extract -- A touch of caffeine in the formula allows for a sustained energy boost to carry you throughout the hike. Say goodbye to energy crashes mid-hike!
2. Packed with superfoods -- Spirulina, alfalfa grass, cracked cell chlorella, broccoli, seaweed, and acerola to name a few. These are wonderful in contributing to vitality, increased mood, and antioxidant protection.
3. Chia -- High in plant-based protein and healthy fats that'll keep your blood sugars stable and your tummy satiated, but without a high carbohydrate load that may make you feel tired and sleepy.
4. Plant-based and vegan friendly -- Free of common allergens and sensitivities such as gluten, wheat, dairy, and soy that may contribute to brain fog and lethargy. Nobody wants to feel crummy during hikes!
BONUS: natural fruit sugars -- The addition of bananas, dates, and coconut as great sources of long-lasting energy to fuel your hike and increase stamina.
Believe me, hearing your stomach grumble nonstop with hunger pangs is one of the worst things when hiking. It's irritating, painful, and not to mention distracting when you're trying to be in the present moment enjoying all of what Mother Nature has to offer. So try out my recipe below! And what's better is that the recipe below is for two servings, so the choice is yours: you can have one serving pre-hike and the other on top of the world, or you can share it with your hubby/buddy/whoever is your hiking partner!
Green Energy Smoothie
Makes 2 servings
Ingredients for chia pudding:
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut cream, with equal parts liquid
- ~4 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- pinch sea salt
Ingredients for smoothie:
- 4 pitted dates, soaked
- 2 large frozen bananas
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 cups fresh spinach (pack it in there to get maximum spinach!)
- 1 cup full fat coconut cream
- 1 cup almond mylk
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 scoops of unflavoured vegan greens+ O
Topping ideas (optional):
- shredded coconut, cacao nibs, chia seeds, homemade energy orbs, dates
- For the soaked dates, place dates in small bowl and cover with hot water. Leave for 10-15 minutes until soft to the touch.
- To make the chia pudding, stir all the chia pudding ingredients together in a small bowl and let sit for 10-15 minutes until the consistency is gel-like. Adjust ratio depending on how well it forms. Scoop into the bottom of glasses.
- Add soaked dates to blender.
- Place remaining smoothie ingredients in the same blender and blend until smooth. Use a tad bit more or less almond mylk, depending on the smoothie consistency you prefer.
- Pour smoothie into glasses over the chia pudding.
- Top with whatever your heart desires -- or don't top at all!
- Enjoy and feel energized!
PS. You can find the greens+ O powder I mentioned here. I opted for the unflavoured variety because I like the earthy taste paired with natural sugars from the frozen fruit.
I can't wait to see your smoothie creations! Make sure to share them on Instagram by including the hashtag #HolisticHeels #FuelledByGenuineHealth.
Peace, self-love, and kale,
Disclaimer: This post was created in partnership with Genuine Health in order to share my love and knowledge for this product. Although this post is sponsored -- my opinions are always, and forever will be, my own.
This content is intended to promote general health and wellbeing; it is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a qualified health professional with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or concern. Check out my one-on-one services for more customized health options.