Summer is upon us and you know what that means: beach picnics, BBQs, potlucks, and patio parties galore! What do all of these have in common? FOOD! Whether you're hosting a summer soiree in your backyard or you're going to a beach day with friends, you'll want to have something to snack on -- and summer is all about fresh, vibrant, colourful food! If you're feeling stumped on what to make, look no further -- I got ya covered!
This Tropical Summer Salsa recipe was passed down to my mama from a friend when we first moved to Canada many moons ago, and over the years we tweaked it to taste just right for our family! It's refreshing, slightly sweet, and has a zing on the finish -- the perfect pairing to grilled fish or seafood, a chicken burger, or simply alongside tortilla chips.
The best thing about this recipe is that you can tweak it to your liking, and if you prefer to have ALL fresh ingredients -- you can swap out the cans for fresh alternatives. We kept the recipe as close to the original as we could -- so we opted for the simplicity of the cans. Although the chopping of ingredients into tiny little pieces may be laborious -- it's 100 percent worth it, I promise you!
Pro tip: I like to prepare this salsa the day before an event because the flavours mix and meld together overnight to create a perfectly harmonious salsa!
Tropical Summer Salsa
Makes 8-10 cups
- 1 540ml can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 341 ml can corn, drained and rinsed
- 6-8 medium sized tomatoes, diced into tiny cubes
- 1/2 papaya, diced into small cubes
- 1 mango, diced into small cubes
- 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch stub ginger, minced
- juice from 1 lemon
- juice and peel from 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 avocados, diced into cubes* (optional)
- Chop and prep all ingredients and add to a large bowl.
- Season with sea salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Gently combine, being careful of not squashing your ingredients.
- Adjust the seasoning to YOUR liking. If you like it spicier, add more chili flakes. If it needs slightly more salt, add a pinch more. You're the boss!
- Enjoy! Impress your friends by bringing a bowl of the salsa to an event!